Thursday, February 14, 2013

We Interrupt the Regularly Scheduled Program for An Important Announcement

This was written last night:
 
Earlier today I recieved some information that made me rethink having our story so public. I reacted as any mother would under the circumstances, yet when the initial shock wore off I questioned whether retreat was the right thing... and I've decided no. It's not. I only have one thing to say, and for those who are aware of the situation you will understand where this is coming from:

Everyone who... cares about their neighbor, whether it's the neighbor next door or their neighbors on another continent they have something in common. They care. How they go about that caring may look different. Even questioned. But the bottom line is not every human rights activist is a worm, and not every adoptive family is guilty of buying their child. It is the opposite. The MAJORITY of both groups are going about their convictions and decisions in a moral and ethical manner.
Too often we run in fear of the minority. I'm not running. I have no need too.
We have adopted from the DRC recently and we are doing it again. Why? Because One: I like kids. Where is the evidence of that? I have SIX biological kids. Is that enough proof for you? Two: I have lost several children during pregnancy, two in my second trimester. I held them, i named them. And we as a family knew we still had room in our hearts and busy life for another one and pregnancy didn't seem like a viable option. Three: I have my own opionion on whether a child should remain in a country to starve because there is no means within their own country to have a future or a family. And the last time I checked we are FREE to have our own opinion on a matter and to act on it. Some care about the children, some care about the soil, the whales, the owls, the trees, and everyone who cares about what they care about are free to act on those convictions as long as it is done in an ethical and moral manner. And for every adoptive family to turn tail and run because unethical practices do take place, child buying does take place, in fear of the mantra that All DO IT, is a shame.

Moving onto FUNDRAISING. FACT ONE: International adoptions are expensive, most people who set about adopting don't have a bunch of free assets to cash in and use towards their adoption. Fact number TWO: Neither do most human rights activist. They are asking for help for their cause. Some of them have donate buttons on their pages. Hello?
Two: We did use most of our own savings for our first adoption and raised the final support mostly through benefit concernts my daughters and their friends put on for our friends and family.
We had no plans on adopting again when we traveled. But a human being came across our path who we as a family came to love, so we are doing everything we can to give her something she has been living without for quite some time. And if someone is willing to help us help her God Bless Them.

I want to thank all of you who do not know us, yet know and trust most adoptive families are good people who love children so you have stepped forward to help us.
I heard a question posed..."what happens to these kids once they are adopted". If this person had done their research, they would know our family has been busy with holidays, park days, get togethers with friends ect. That information was open for all to see. And many many other adoptive families have willingly shared their lives with their new children so there is no need to ask what happens to these kids when they get home.

I read recently that horsemeat has been found in frozen lasagna in the UK.
Guess what I had for dinner last night?
Frozen lasagna.
Why?
Because I know not every frozen lasagna is made from horse meat.

Nor is every adoption unethical. And to accuse individual families of doing so and using their childrens photos' without permission or knowing them and their stories personally, is intentionally unethical, immoral and exploitive. The very thing you say you are against.

We are adopting. We welcome you to follow us along on our parenting journey. We have made a decision to save the photo's for another day. But we're not going away:)

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know how much we admire what you are doing and we will be standing by you the whole way:)

    ReplyDelete