Monday, February 18, 2013

Stronger, Not Defeated.



Several days ago I thought seriously about going into hiding as an adoptive parent. To protect myself, my children and family from all the intentional evil that exists from naysayers of international adoption. There is also those who hurt unintentionally with their lack of knowledge and understanding, and then there are the willfully ignorant. They are indifferent to truth on any subject but particularly when it regards self. They have an opinion based upon nothing. No facts or evidence. The Bible calls it being right in their own eyes. A fool.
After I got over being afraid I got mad, and now Im somewhere in the middle. But through it I realized how much I care about the children who need a Father and Mother, an advocate.

The fact is MOST people don't care about Orphans.
The definition of orphan is not: mother and father is deceased. The definition of orphan is: "a child who is bereaved of father, mother or both". (Websters1828 Dictionary)
Bereaved means deprived, stripped and left. Whether one or both parents die or whether a child is relinquished due to poverty or neglect the end result is the same: a child is without a family.
Without a father or mother, without an advocate.

It is a PARENTS duty to advocate for their child in what ever needs that child has. So children without parents are vulnerable to sickness, disease, abuse and poverty. So what do these children need more than anything? Parents. Not political reformation.
Children don't need government, they need the rules and boundaries of a safe and loving home. The leaders a child needs to look to is mom and dad. Of course political stability is a factor in the success of a family and community but a child doesn't have time for grown ups who aren't their parents to figure out and fight over what should be done about them. Parents know what is best for their child. Not a country. Not ANY country.
So what does every child on any continent need more than anything? Parents.
If I go flatline because of what people might say about me and my children I am not ushering forth the truth, i am suppressing the truth. Opposition of right is always trying to silence and oppress. And what is the consequence of that? In this case, millions of children wasting away with no identity, family or purpose or hope.

This recent battle of wills against a naysayer brought out the tiger mom in me in full armour. A tigress.
I love being a mom. And I will do what I do best: love my children and advocate for them in order that they will will be able to live their lives to the fullest according to their convictions and gifts and talents. And my roar for my children has just gotten bigger for not only my own but for all the millions of children who have no home, no family no advocate. My advocacy for these kids is for them to have a family. I will not be silent.

Yes, whole families when and where possible need to be strengthened in order that families can stay together. I know this personally as a single mom of five for almost eleven years. I have supported and will continue to support single mothers in their success in raising their children. I have done that in very practical ways, and I will do more, as Im sure other individuals and groups will do. But in the mean time, simultaneously, without delay... There are children in desperate urgent need of a family. And my voice will be used to bring children home to mom and dad where they can be safe and cared for, and raised with a hope and a purpose.

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment