Monday, April 15, 2013

Two Children, Two Very Different Adoptions



It's been five months since we met Sevi. Five months since we met her sweet spirited self and I'm missing her and ready for her to come home.
This adoption is very different than when we went through the process for Maida. With Maida we had no first hand knowledge of the DRC other than what we read. We knew nothing of the child we said yes to, and had very little understanding of how the paperwork was done that would make her our own, or the importance of specific documents that enables two countries goverments to agree in letting us bring her home.

With Sevi we know her, we met her and spent two weeks with her when we traveled to pick up Maida in November.
We experienced the beauty and the tragedy of the DR Congo. We saw first hand the tragic reality for so many children who contract malaria, when children have no one in their life who can afford a few dollars to buy medicine that would spare their life.

We now know exactly what documents are needed, and what those documents will mean in making us family. It happened so much faster with Maida, and it seems to be taking so long with Sevi. Last time around I thought if I just knew what to expect and the time frame to expect it in, it would help ease some of the adoption anxiety. But let me tell you... It's done the opposite!

I find myself tapping my foot, drumming my fingers and shooting off emails to my agency to enquire about our documents. I want to reach across the ocean and see to it that MY child's paperwork is being noticed in the stacks of documents that are being handled in the courts of Kinshasa.

Doesn't Sevi deserve to come home? Hasn't she been in that orphanage long enough? Isn't it time for her to learn what family is and who God is and how much she is loved? My answer is yes. And I'm sure you agree with me; but like our last adoption I have to be reminded whose child Sevi really is. Gods. He has just given us the blessing of raising her. He is using us-Mom, Dad, brother and many sisters, to know what love is. What grace is. To know what family is and what commitment is.
Personally I'd like to get on with all this family love fest for Sevi in person. But like with Maida, God reminds me that He is still working in the waiting. Our waiting, and persevering is already teaching Sevi about commitment as we wait on her and climb mountains for her. She is already beginning to experience love and trust as we follow through in bringing her home like we said we would that last day we said our goodbyes in the Congo five months ago.
She is a smart girl, a very smart girl. And I know she will know one thing about this family before ever coming home: We want her and love her.
And I know while we wait for funds, and for paperwork, God is using this time to make us better prepared for her and her for us.



 



Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment